MegaMAID's Parenting Parables

Life moves fast! Taking time to write (or read) about it sometimes helps keep things in perspective. Below you'll find a few thoughts from Meg, a MAID in Maryland...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Maryland, United States

“Mother Addicted to Irish Dance” (MAID) is a title that I first began to earn in the summer of 2003. Watching my daughter express the music of my ancestry through this beautiful art form stirred in me a joy that was … all-consuming! It led to an “addiction” that I continue to feed as a parent, as a writer, as an adult dancer, and as an enthusiastic Craic participant.

July 24, 2007

Drinking the Kool-Aid

Katie has a new solo dress. The beautiful labor of love that our friend Judy made last year had been altered to as large as possible and wasn’t quite fitting comfortably anymore. Sigh.

Miraculously, we found a very nice second-hand dress for sale at a feis which has a bit of growing room in it. Katie LOVES this dress, and it does look lovely on her.

It is very… champion. It is very… glitzy competition. It is… well, it is very!

Please don’t misunderstand me – I do love this dress. I love the way my daughter giggles when she wears it. I love the way it flows and sparkles when she dances.

And, much as I HATE to admit this, I love the way she “fits in” with the high-level Irish dance competitors.

Yep, we’re drinking the Kool-Aid.

Now, the defensive side of me is screaming, “But it’s not the ‘over-the-top-pay-through-the-nose-designer-froo-froo’ that truly hard core Irish dance champion dancer families seek!”

No, it’s not. But

The really big change in costume regarding this solo dress purchase has to do with hair style.

Or lack thereof.

Wig.

Yes, wig.

Not cute little bun cover.

Not sweet curls surrounding young girl’s face.

WIG.

BIG wig.

(Uh-oh, here comes that defensive voice again…)

“But it’s not the BIIIIIIIIG wig with the poofy lifter thingies underneath and the multiple tiers of sausage curls piled three stories above two tiaras! Not THAT kind of wig!”

No, it’s not. But

It’s still a LOT of curly stuff atop a nine-year-old’s noggin.

Curious yet? Here’s a photo:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Pink, of course! I’m glad for that.

I do love it.

This is the part with which I still struggle…

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Look at this beautiful long blonde hair…

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

And this sweet young face…

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

And I’m covering it with…

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

…wig.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

But like I said, she looks like the champion dancer that she is!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Sip, sip…

Labels:

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, she is. And, yes, her sweet child face and hair, yet, the other champion dancers do, also. She wears her beautiful dress and new big wig well. Deservedly so. Hey, she's not wearing glitter eyeshadow ;)

11:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As long as there's no tanner involved yet, your Kool Aid isn't strong enough.

If I'm not mistaken, that's a FeisDress design -- in fact, it's the "Gallery" design on the site for Rose Kennedy, the dress maker> See http://www.feisdress.com/gallery.html

(Scary how I know the dresses, huh?) I think I also remember who had it before you guys. But I won't hold that against you! ;)

8:48 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

Megan, just about everything in your comment above is "scary"!!! Yikes...

Speaking of comments... I happened to notice another one that you posted recently. Ann is definitely on the list of people whom I would like to meet!

(By the way, shhh, don't tell Robin - aka Ceilisundancer - about the glitter eye shadow. Thanks to my procrastination, she hasn't heard about that expereince at Nationals yet...) More "yikes"!

10:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not Katie, too! I went shopping for glitter eyeshadow with one of our U10 dancers and her mom. Now, THAT was an experience.

At least by the time you get to Senior Ladies, you ditch some of the glitter. Or maybe not... could explain my placing! ;)

8:48 AM  
Blogger Meg said...

When we arrived at the Conress Centre Saturday morning for the U9 competition, each young dancer was handed a small Canadian flag and a zippered make-up kit with glitter eye shadow in it, a promo from "BASTAR.com". I couldn't resist the, "Mommy, pleeeeeeeeeeeze!!! Just for today! It's NATIONALS! Pleeeeeeeeeze!!!"

Wait a minute... you mean they didn't hand those out on Wednesday to the Senior Ladies competitors?!

10:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't feel badly now, then, for splurging the $3. for my child's green glitter eyeliner, that just happened to be thee exact shade of green. Besides, eyeliner barely shows, compared with eyeshadow, and my barely a teenager was so excited for it. LOL. Hmmm, how would that work for an adult dancer? Can't wait to see the photos from NAN's, Meg!

11:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uh.... no.

Suddenly, my NANs experience has a shadow cast upon it. Alas, no glitter eyeshadow, giftbags or flags for the Senior Ladies.

Age discrimination, I say!

8:29 PM  
Blogger Taoknitter said...

She looks adorable! I can see why she is giggling...and a great color on her.

The "kool-aid" analogy is very funny. Thanks for the giggle.

4:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like this post. I'll keep this in mind for when I have children of my own who dance. Also, I believe you mean "frou frou."

11:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home