MegaMAID's Parenting Parables

Life moves fast! Taking time to write (or read) about it sometimes helps keep things in perspective. Below you'll find a few thoughts from Meg, a MAID in Maryland...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Maryland, United States

“Mother Addicted to Irish Dance” (MAID) is a title that I first began to earn in the summer of 2003. Watching my daughter express the music of my ancestry through this beautiful art form stirred in me a joy that was … all-consuming! It led to an “addiction” that I continue to feed as a parent, as a writer, as an adult dancer, and as an enthusiastic Craic participant.

February 10, 2007

A MAID Moment

Today is Katie’s ninth birthday. Early this morning we sat ceremoniously upon the kitchen floor so that Katie could open some presents which had arrived by mail from out-of-state relatives.

One very special gift from Grandpa was an American Girl doll Irish dance dress. Katie gently opened the lid of the American Girl clothing box, parted the delicate tissue paper and proceeded to remove each item with reverence.

“Look how beautiful her dress is! And her headpiece! Oh, and look, there’s one for me, too!” Slight pause to try on the headpiece…

“Her dress even comes with a hangar! And, oh, look at these ghillies! And the little poodle socks, how cute! And what’s this?”

Katie had picked up the small white silica gel pack that companies place inside shoe boxes or such to keep the items fresh. I was about to answer Katie’s question when 4-yr-old Ellie suddenly said,

“Sock glue!”

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Bunny said...

I am so excited for the days of American Girl dolls with my Sarah. I was just a little too old for them when they first came out, but I would have loooved one!

11:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I live in Australia where we don't have American Girl dolls, I'm 43 and I still want one! :o)

Where would we be without sock glue? My DD is almost 19 and everytime she gets ready to go out on the town I thank God for sock glue and the "stuff" it holds in place.

10:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home